Note - in some browsers the appearance of the blog is corrupted. I do not yet know the cause, but hope this issue will be resolved soon!

Saturday 22 September 2012

New life in Panaga

I've been a little busy the last couple of days. Friday the 14th of September my wife gave birth to our very first child: Jacob, a healthy young boy! I am very happy and proud. And a little tired... Jacob is keeping us busy around the clock and I expect I will not be going out much the coming period!

In between naps I did have some quick peeks in the garden. Yesterday an arctic warbler was foraging up in the trees around the garden. These birds are migrants to southeast Asia and seem to be regulars in the Panaga gardens year on year. There not the easiest birds to capture on camera and this was my best attempt before the bird flew of.

Arctic warbler (Phylloscopus borealis)
In between baby feeding time I took my camera to the garden again this afternoon, secretly hoping to get another photo opportunity at the warbler. No such luck. To stay within the 'brand new life' theme some pictures of the yellow-vented bulbuls that are nesting next to the outside staircase instead. The yellow-vented bulbul is an abundant species in the Panaga gardens and arguably the most common bird around. This particular nest has already seen plenty of fledglings. This time only one of the two eggs hatched, the parents do not seem less busy though.

Yellow-vented bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier)
Yellow-vented bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier)
Yellow-vented bulbul (Pycnonotus goiavier)
Ready for delivery!
A lot of commoners only this afternoon. A group of 4 zebra doves where foraging close to the house. This species is introduced in Borneo and very common around the Panaga gardens. The birds are remarkably approachable. I liked this out of focus shot best of the photos I took as the blur seems to enhance the zebra-effect.

Zebra dove (Geopelia striata)
Will likely do primarily garden-birding the next couple of weeks, hope the migrating season won't disappoint!

Folkert,  22/09/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment