Note - in some browsers the appearance of the blog is corrupted. I do not yet know the cause, but hope this issue will be resolved soon!

Saturday 29 September 2012

Last years migrant ducks

So no... not my first migrant ducks in Brunei this year. Instead a short post in anticipation for some sightings of ducks this season. These scarce winter visitors can be observed during October to April anywhere in Brunei where there is suitable habitat. A good portion of luck is required though; there are only few sightings recorded by PNHS members in the past.

The first species I saw last year is the Garganey (Anas querquedula). This single bird was encountered in an abandoned reservoir of a prawn farm close to Telisai during a visit of Quentin Phillips, CK Leong and Roger Rajah to Panaga last year. Because of work commitments I missed that first visit, but luckily this duck called the prawn farm it's home for at least a month longer, allowing me to take a few pictures during it's stay.


Garganey (Anas querquedula)
Garganey (Anas querquedula)
Garganey (Anas querquedula)
I think this bird is a female, it has a distinct head pattern with diagnostic pale supercilium, dark eye line and a pale lore spot bordered by a second dark line.

The second species is the Tufted duck (Aythya fuligula). In December I was happily surprised to find 4 birds in the lake at J15, close to Seria. The birds where only there for less than a week and seemed to deliberately be at the far side of the pond each time I got my camera out. Previous recordings were all in the Wasan rice fields (1995, 1988 and 1986). 

Tufted duck (Aythya fuligula)
Tufted duck (Aythya fuligula)
Let's hope we'll see some more ducks this year again (and that I haven't jinxed my luck with this post...).

Folkert, 29/09/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment